- About Us
- What We Do
- Country Networks
City level and regional level projects for the freight sector would be successful and sustained only if an integrated policy package is in place nationally, due to the freight being carried across regional boundaries. A national program on green freight, the China Green Freight Initiative was be designed that focuses on energy efficiency and reduced GHG and air pollutants, that
- Fills gaps in national policies and institutions that aim to reduce fuel use and emissions from the freight sector, and fill gaps the Guangdong GEF project that is restricted to the Guangdong Province. (see http://www.worldbank.org/projects/P119654?lang=en)
- Provides a basis for nation-wide efforts to reduce fuel use and emissions from the freight sector. The program design is build on existing programs in other countries as well as the Green Trucks Pilot Project in Guangzhou
- Could also be used as a model for other countries establishing such programs, especially developing countries.
The idea stems from the involvement of the Clean Air Asia in the World Bank Guangzhou Green Trucks Pilot Project (Dec 2008 – Feb 2010) and preparation of a GEF Guangdong Green Freight Demonstration Project (launched in September 2011), as well as the success of the SmartWay Transport program in the US and steps towards a similar program in Europe.
The development of the China Green Freight Initiative is now in its third phase and is implemented in collaboration with China Road Transport Association (CRTA) and Research Institute of Highways (RIOH) of the Ministry of Transport.
The main outputs of Phase 1
- 中国绿色货运之路综合设计报告 and in English the Green Freight China Program Design Report, that includes the design framework of the overall program, and details of the various components of the proposed program including Technologies, Logistics, Financing, Knowledge and Capacity and Green Freight Partnerships.
- Green Freight China Seminar 2011(See http://cleanairinitiative.org/portal/node/7313) and Workshop on Private Sector's Role in Green Freight in China (See http://cleanairinitiative.org/portal/node/7312) held in Beijing, China.
- Background studies and surveys were carried out in support of the program framework design which are listed in the report.
Phase 2 (2012) focus on the following activities
- Establish the China Green Freight Initiative Advisory Group
- Draft the China Green Freight Initiative Guideline
- Establish the China Green Freight Initiative, which was officially launched on 18 April 2012. For details see http://cleanairinitiative.org/portal/node/8335
- Establish the Dissemination System and Education Packages of the Green Freight Initiative
- Develop a methodology for fuel and emissions measurement for future “Green Indicators” used for the “Top Green Freight Enterprises Award” (optional)
- Organize Annual Green Freight Seminars, and China Green Freight Initiative Seminar 2012 was held on 11 June, 2012. For details, see http://cleanairinitiative.org/portal/node/8494
Phase 3 (2013) focus on the following:
- Development of Green Freight Enterprise Standards for carriers
- Development of Green Freight Vehicle Standards for trucks
- Test the standard with pilot carriers to identify areas for improvement
- Hold the China Green Freight Initiative Seminar 2013 in June 2013
- Develop and test training modules on green freight practices and measurement of emissions
Donor: China Sustainable Energy Program (Energy Foundation)
Phase 1: July 2010 - June 2011
Phase 2: Nov 2011 - September 2012
Phase 3: 2013
Partners: China Road Transport Association, Research Institute of Highways of Ministry of Transport, Cascade Sierra Solutions (CSS), US EPA
Clean Air Asia contacts:
Fu Lu, fu.lu(at)cleanairasia.org
Sophie Punte, sophie.punte(at)cleanairasia.org