Smaller cities in Asia (with populations of 200,000 to 1.5 million) suffer from poor air quality just like megacities. However, support for improving air quality seldom reaches smaller cities while megacities receive a lot of assistance.
The ASEAN – German International Cooperation Project on “Clean Air for Smaller Cities in the ASEAN Region” aims to empower smaller cities in developing and implementing “Clean Air Action Plans” with active stakeholder participation. The German Government through GIZ financed the project.
• Prepared Country Profiles for Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam
• Organized a national workshop in Philippines together with the League of Cities of the Philippines (October 2009)
• Assisted two Philippine cities (Iloilo and Cagayan de Oro) in air quality monitoring, develop an emissions inventory of pollution sources and develop Clean Air Action Plans
• Organized national workshops to share project outputs to key stakeholders
Each of the Country Profiles provide background information and answer these key questions:
• State of the Air (Chapter 2): What is the air quality in smaller cities? Which of the smaller cities in the country are experiencing air pollution challenges or will soon enter into this situation?
• Legal framework for air quality management (Chapter 3): What is the air quality management system in place in smaller cities? What is the legal framework for air quality management in the country and in smaller cities? What power and resources are available to smaller cities to develop and implement clean air action plans?
• Stakeholders (Chapter 4): Do stakeholders take an active part in air quality management for smaller cities? How do smaller cities engage stakeholders in air quality management?
Related link: http://www.citiesforcleanair.org/
Duration: September 2009 - December 2011
Glynda Bathan, glynda.bathan(at)cleanairasia.org
|Indonesia Country Profile 2009.pdf||1.14 MB|
|Philippine Country Profile 2010.pdf||854.71 KB|
|Thailand Country Profile 2009.pdf||485 KB|
|VietNam Country Profile 2010.pdf||1.26 MB|
|Project Summary 34 - GIZ Clean Air for Smaller Cities Project||502.7 KB|