Due to various issues currently exist in the air quality management of developing Asian countries, 6 focal issues are addressed in phase 1 (2001-2003) of the project. They are:
(1) monitoring for toxic and organic air pollutants
(2) appropriate air pollution control technologies, and
(3) modelling tools for integrated air quality management.
The research was conducted jointly by the AIT and 5 National Research Institutions (NRI) from developing Asian countries, namely China, India, Indonesia, Philippines and Vietnam. Presently, after preliminary understanding of the spatial and temporal distribution of PM, VOC and semi-VOC in first phase of the project, the proposed activities for the second phase are a natural continuation of the first phase. In this second phase, 4 issues are addressed, namely:
(1) long-term monitoring for toxic air pollutants and potential health effects
(2) appropriate control technologies
(3) regional air quality modelling, and
(4) integrated air quality management programs.
Funding Sources / Donors:
Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA)
Status of Project:
• East Asia
• South Asia
• Southeast Asia